Skip to main content

Another Six-Point Night for the Hawks--and a Big 'W'!



CHICAGO, IL -- Where were these Hawks all of March?

Seriously, though, what a solid game. Arizona isn't a playoff team, but this might restore the confidence in the Blackhawks that was lost in the mess that was March. It's at least a step in the right direction.

The first period in of itself was eventful with two goals right off the bat from the top line--Panik just five minutes in and Toews thirteen minutes into the game. Toews' was beautiful, too, being a shorthanded goal and all. Just a beaut.

Patrick Kane started the second period off strong with a power play goal just six minutes in. Panarin got the assist there, which ended up being the first of three for him tonight (Panarin critics... Look out). Trevor van Riemsdyk scored soon afterwards at about the midway point of the period, with an assist from Toews and Panarin. Again, a beautiful goal shot from almost center ice, right through traffic. And, Ladd had to get in on the fun, too, scoring just two minutes after van Riemsdyk with assists from Kane and Panarin.

The bad thing about the second period was that Vermette (ARI) made a pretty hard hit on Anisimov, sending him to the locker room, likely to get checked for a concussion. Luckily, Vermette was charged with boarding and game misconduct, and sent off the ice. Both van Riemsdyk and Ladd scored on that power play.

The Coyotes shut down Darling's shut out chances just four minutes into the third, but Desjardins answered just a minute after Murphy's goal. Richardson scored for the Coyotes late into the third, but they couldn't get another past Darling in the last seven minutes.

The worst part? The Hawks got that damn 'Too Many Men on the Ice' call again. It's the dumbest call in the NHL, yet it's the one they get called almost every game. Oh, well. They killed the penalty, life is good.

The Blackhawks have to face the St. Louis Blues on Thursday at 8:30pm. If the Blackhawks win their next two games and the Stars and Blues lose their last few games, the Hawks could still clinch the first spot in the Central Division, which would give them home ice and a series against the Minnesota Wild.

Even just home ice against the Blues in the first round would help, and they could certainly get there if they can at least get a 'W' at the United Center Thursday night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ain't No Sunshine - Hawks Recap (11/16 - 11/22)

CHICAGO, IL -- I'm undecided on this week, honestly. Certainly not their worst week of outings, but not really their best, either. I just kind of... wished it'd gone better? Especially since the Hawks' schedule is getting kind of gnarly here. I don't think they're in the dark, or completely out of it at this point--as I've reiterated a gazillion times to family, friends and the interwebs: they don't hand out the Cup in November. I really do think that they'll be okay, even if this week wasn't great. It also wasn't the worst week they've had to date (8-game losing streak, anyone?), and I really think they're still trending up. Let's just hope they keep trending that way. Anyways, let's get into some games, shall we? BLACKHAWKS V. LOS ANGELES KINGS - L/SO, 1-2 I'll be the first to admit that this wasn't the prettiest of Hawks games. But, at the same time... It wasn't the worst I've ever seen. The ...

Checking In - Breaking Down the Blackhawks' Play Over a Month

CHICAGO, IL — I’m going to be absolutely real with you—I had no idea what to write about for the blog this week. I’ve written about the Blackhawks being good, bad, and everything in between, I’ve written about Patrick Kane a couple times now (#Kane4Hart), and I’ve even written about the best goal celebrations from the Hawks this season. The idea tank is running dry, my friends. So, I thought we could throw it back to a post I made a while back about what the Hawks really needed to do to make the playoffs, and grade them on how well they're meeting all three of those items a couple of weeks later. Let's just get right on into it, shall we? 1) With 27 games left, you have to go 18-9 to get to the 88-90-point range that would potentially get them into the playoffs. So, the Hawks currently sit at 71 points through 70 games, and since the date of this article (February 8th), the Hawks have gone 9-6, which is not terrible, but also only gives them a b...

TRADE: D Brandon Manning to Edmonton, F Drake Caggiula to Chicago

CHICAGO, IL -- Sometimes, Stan Bowman really does work wonders. This is certainly one of those instances. For those of you that may not know, Brandon Manning was the one that broke Connor McDavid's collarbone his rookie year. It seems like he may have done it on purpose, and Connor McDavid didn't like the 'classless' move . Well, now they're teammates. That'll be good. Anyways, back to the actual trade. Manning's been a healthy scratch for a couple weeks now, and I think the only reason it's a surprise is because another team actually wanted him. I know that sounds harsh, but it's not exactly wrong. Bowman's been trying to fix this one for a while, and he finally found a taker. With Manning went D Robin Norell, who has been playing in Sweden this season after playing in Rockford last year. To Chicago with Caggiula came D Jason Garrison, who I'm thinking will likely be put on waivers shortly, since the Blackhawks are a little h...