Skip to main content

A Disappointing OT Loss Is, Well, A Loss



CHICAGO, IL -- My title makes this seem mean. I promise it's not.

Overall, the Blackhawks played pretty well tonight. The offense was good, taking shots when they had the opportunities, even if they didn't all connect.

And, Tarasenko's OT GWG was just a bad turnover gone terribly wrong. Right place at the right time, with Darling out of the net and Seabrook laying on the ice trying to block the shot.

Still, it was disappointing. Especially because most of the game was kind of boring. I was nervous in the first period, but my feed cut out halfway through and I missed the beginning of the second--until just after Toews scored.

For some reason, I thought they were out of the woods with the 1-0 lead. I don't really know why I thought that for a moment.

They did manage to kill three penalties this game, which was more important than usual. This was a big game, and the boys managed to stay in it with all of the penalty killing. Their power play could still use a little work, but they did try.

And, though the Hawks led by 1 for the second and most of the third period, they ended ten shots under the Blues with just 25. I think a big part of that is due to the amount of penalties they had to kill versus the power plays they got in return.

Do I think this one game means the Blackhawks are doomed for the playoffs? Not necessarily. Keep in mind, they're missing five players that are crucial to the lineup--Keith, Hossa, Shaw, Crawford, and Anisimov--all of which should be back during the playoffs.

The thing they need to worry about is overtime. Though they never lost to the Blues in regulation this season, they have lost to them now three times in overtime. Not a good sign if any of the games go that far. They'll need to make sure they get the lead right off the bat and stay there if they want to make it past the first round.

The next Blackhawks game is at Columbus at 7pm Saturday, April 9th.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ain't No Sunshine - Hawks Recap (11/16 - 11/22)

CHICAGO, IL -- I'm undecided on this week, honestly. Certainly not their worst week of outings, but not really their best, either. I just kind of... wished it'd gone better? Especially since the Hawks' schedule is getting kind of gnarly here. I don't think they're in the dark, or completely out of it at this point--as I've reiterated a gazillion times to family, friends and the interwebs: they don't hand out the Cup in November. I really do think that they'll be okay, even if this week wasn't great. It also wasn't the worst week they've had to date (8-game losing streak, anyone?), and I really think they're still trending up. Let's just hope they keep trending that way. Anyways, let's get into some games, shall we? BLACKHAWKS V. LOS ANGELES KINGS - L/SO, 1-2 I'll be the first to admit that this wasn't the prettiest of Hawks games. But, at the same time... It wasn't the worst I've ever seen. The ...

TRADE: D Brandon Manning to Edmonton, F Drake Caggiula to Chicago

CHICAGO, IL -- Sometimes, Stan Bowman really does work wonders. This is certainly one of those instances. For those of you that may not know, Brandon Manning was the one that broke Connor McDavid's collarbone his rookie year. It seems like he may have done it on purpose, and Connor McDavid didn't like the 'classless' move . Well, now they're teammates. That'll be good. Anyways, back to the actual trade. Manning's been a healthy scratch for a couple weeks now, and I think the only reason it's a surprise is because another team actually wanted him. I know that sounds harsh, but it's not exactly wrong. Bowman's been trying to fix this one for a while, and he finally found a taker. With Manning went D Robin Norell, who has been playing in Sweden this season after playing in Rockford last year. To Chicago with Caggiula came D Jason Garrison, who I'm thinking will likely be put on waivers shortly, since the Blackhawks are a little h...

You Get a Win, You Get a Win, You Get a Win! - Hawks Recap (10/19 - 10/26)

CHICAGO, IL - Well, kids, I never thought I'd see the day. The Blackhawks are 6-2-2 in their first ten outings.  Yeah. Let that sink in for a second. I'm just as shocked as you are, believe me. I know I keep saying it (and so does everyone else), but this is not where I expected the Hawks to be ten games in. I was expecting the worst. To say I'm happy with this early result would be an understatement--these games have been so fun to watch (yes, even the loss to Tampa Bay--we'll get there), and I can't wait to see what the rest of the season has in store. I can't say I've raised my hopes that much, mostly because I don't like being disappointed, but I'm interested to see what they do with the remaining 72 games. Let's get into this. BLACKHAWKS AT COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS: W, 4-1 A win in regulation! It's not just a myth! In all seriousness, I think this is the best game the Hawks have played to date. You could make an argumen...