Skip to main content

Hello There!

Wow, I never thought I'd be doing this--'this' being blogging about sports.

For as long as I can remember, sports have been a big part of my life. My mom loves all sports, and when I was only a few weeks old, I was sitting (well, being held in my mom's arms) at a University of Wisconsin basketball game. Hell, I was born while my mom was watching Wisconsin play a football game against Cincinnati.

My stepdad also happens to be on a sports radio show where I live, which is pretty neat. He watches games every night, so even if I'm just going downstairs for a late-night bowl of cereal, some sport (whether it's baseball, basketball, football, or hockey) is on the TV. It's kind of comforting, now.

So, yeah, sports are commonplace around my house. Always have been.

But, I detested sports all through middle and high school. I thought they were stupid, and my mom yelling at the TV was a waste of time. Yet, I sat through a number of Super Bowls, three Stanley Cup Finals (each time the Blackhawks have been in them since 2010), a slew of Olympic games (which, for the record, I've always enjoyed), countless World Series, year after year of March Madness, among others. Sports have always just hung around.

My mom always tells me I'd make a great lacrosse player, but that never happened. Still hasn't, in fact, and probably won't. I don't personally think it could--my hand-eye coordination is little to none. I've never connected with sports on a physical level, even though I've tried a handful of them, including: co-ed soccer, backyard baseball/tee ball, tennis, and hell, even Quidditch at my university (yes, I'm that nerd). Sports just aren't what I'm good at.

I am, however, good at writing. Well, sort of good. I'm good at writing on a pretty colloquial level, as you can probably already tell. Anyways, all of that aside, I like writing, and though I usually do it on a fictional level, I thought I'd give my hand at writing a little more professionally. Let's not get too crazy with this idea, but I'm going to try and be as professional as a college girl can be while talking about sports.

Now, now, keep your panties on straight--I'm not going to sit here and blog about the hottest players in the NHL, or the nicest MLB butts. I talk about that stuff enough to my friends and family. This is just a place for me to talk a little about the sports I love and the teams within those sports I follow. I promise I'll do my best to keep the "girl" talk to a minimum, but I make absolutely no promises.

So, if all of that didn't scare you away, enjoy your stay, and maybe you can learn a little something from this non-athletic hockey and baseball-loving chick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ain't No Sunshine - Hawks Recap (11/16 - 11/22)

CHICAGO, IL -- I'm undecided on this week, honestly. Certainly not their worst week of outings, but not really their best, either. I just kind of... wished it'd gone better? Especially since the Hawks' schedule is getting kind of gnarly here. I don't think they're in the dark, or completely out of it at this point--as I've reiterated a gazillion times to family, friends and the interwebs: they don't hand out the Cup in November. I really do think that they'll be okay, even if this week wasn't great. It also wasn't the worst week they've had to date (8-game losing streak, anyone?), and I really think they're still trending up. Let's just hope they keep trending that way. Anyways, let's get into some games, shall we? BLACKHAWKS V. LOS ANGELES KINGS - L/SO, 1-2 I'll be the first to admit that this wasn't the prettiest of Hawks games. But, at the same time... It wasn't the worst I've ever seen. The ...

Checking In - Breaking Down the Blackhawks' Play Over a Month

CHICAGO, IL — I’m going to be absolutely real with you—I had no idea what to write about for the blog this week. I’ve written about the Blackhawks being good, bad, and everything in between, I’ve written about Patrick Kane a couple times now (#Kane4Hart), and I’ve even written about the best goal celebrations from the Hawks this season. The idea tank is running dry, my friends. So, I thought we could throw it back to a post I made a while back about what the Hawks really needed to do to make the playoffs, and grade them on how well they're meeting all three of those items a couple of weeks later. Let's just get right on into it, shall we? 1) With 27 games left, you have to go 18-9 to get to the 88-90-point range that would potentially get them into the playoffs. So, the Hawks currently sit at 71 points through 70 games, and since the date of this article (February 8th), the Hawks have gone 9-6, which is not terrible, but also only gives them a b...

TRADE: D Brandon Manning to Edmonton, F Drake Caggiula to Chicago

CHICAGO, IL -- Sometimes, Stan Bowman really does work wonders. This is certainly one of those instances. For those of you that may not know, Brandon Manning was the one that broke Connor McDavid's collarbone his rookie year. It seems like he may have done it on purpose, and Connor McDavid didn't like the 'classless' move . Well, now they're teammates. That'll be good. Anyways, back to the actual trade. Manning's been a healthy scratch for a couple weeks now, and I think the only reason it's a surprise is because another team actually wanted him. I know that sounds harsh, but it's not exactly wrong. Bowman's been trying to fix this one for a while, and he finally found a taker. With Manning went D Robin Norell, who has been playing in Sweden this season after playing in Rockford last year. To Chicago with Caggiula came D Jason Garrison, who I'm thinking will likely be put on waivers shortly, since the Blackhawks are a little h...